Sunday, January 30

{What's for dinner?}

I've been experimenting with new recipes A LOT lately. And... I love it. Most recipes turn out well and I
 add them to my list of meals to make frequently. But let me tell you, this last recipe knocked our socks off.


It's the top right recipe from last month's edition of Martha Stewart Magazine.
I looked for the recipe on her website to link but it's not there.

So for those of you who want a fantastic meal that will wow your husband (Lance was in love),
here it is:

CONCHIGLIE WITH SHRIMP, ROASTED TOMATOES, AND PIMENTON

2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes (12 ounces)
4 thyme sprigs
2 T extra-virgin olive oil
1 zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick (2 cups)
3 garlic cloves, halved
coarse salt
1 pound conchiglie
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon pimenton
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1. Preheat oven to 375. Gently toss tomatoes with thyme, and 1 T oil. Transfer to rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes. Add zucchini and garlic; toss to combine. Roast until tomatoes are just broken down and zucchini is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook conchiglie until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
3. Meanwhile, season shrimp with salt. Heat remaining T oil in a large skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking. Cook shrimp, stirring occasionally, until just opaque, about 3 minutes. Add cream, pimenton, red-pepper flakes, and roasted-tomatoe mixture. Bring to a simmer. Toss in pasta and reserved cooking liquid. 

SOOO yummy! 
I did a couple of things different, just to make do with what I had.

I used regular tomatoes, chopped instead of grape. I used 4 teaspoons dried thyme. I added extra 
zucchini because we love it around here. I used shells instead of cochiglie. I used frozen shrimp and only
 half a pound because shrimp can be expensive and I like to make it go further. I used paprika instead of
 pimenton (pimenton is a spanish paprika), and I probably put double the amount of the last 3 ingredients
 because we like things a little more spicy and creamy around here.

I also signed up for the free email newsletter EVERYDAY FOOD on Martha's website
and I'm really excited to get a new recipe every week.

If you have a new favorite recipe, I would love to get it from you! 
Feel free to leave it as a comment or email it to me.

Happy cooking :)

2 comments:

Georganne said...

Ooh. Thanks for sharing. Stan LOVES shrimp. And we all love tomatoes and zucchini recipes. Here is one that we have recently tried and absolutely fallen in love with -- SUPPLI!

http://www.mangiodasola.com/2010/07/suppli.html

Amanda and Jake Matagi said...

That sounds really yummy. One of my favorite things lately, you can sign up for a daily email from taste of homes website. Each day it is something different, dessert, drink, appetizer, main dish, you get the drift. I'll save them to a file if they sound yummy and it is a great way to have new recipes for the week and its free of course.