Monday, January 24

Yurt Trip

My honey turned 26! It was an especially good birthday this year. To celebrate, we went on a yurt trip with Jake & Melissa Garrett. If you are like me, you probably have no idea what a yurt is. It's basically 
like a canvas igloo. The one we reserved a night in was in the middle of nowhere and we had to ski in.


We started off by driving to Pocatello, Idaho. We got all strapped up to our Alpine touring skis and got
 our packs on right at about dusk and started on our way. 



The trail was AMAZING! It snowed the entire hike in. The woods around were so wildly beautiful
and quiet. And there were fresh animal tracks all around us the entire way. We had to use a GPS to find the yurt. 

Let me tell you what a welcome site the Yurt was---all nestled in the middle of the forest, blanketed 
in snow--after 6 hours of uphill hiking. 



The men got a fire started while Melissa and I got the beds ready. We even melted snow to cook dinner
with! The yurt was so warm all night. 

After we had eaten and packed up in the morning, we got our skis and packs on again and skied out! 
Even though it was super challenging and a little scary at times, it is by far the funnest trip
we have done in a long time. We just can't wait to go back again!



We returned to Lance's parent's house to pick Crew up only to find a surprise birthday party
for Lance. I didn't get a picture of the group but thanks to all those who came!




I love him so very much.

We celebrated again with my family on Sunday.

HAPPY 26TH BABY!

10 comments:

Georganne said...

When I saw the cake picture I was thinking -- "You skiied into the yurt with a CAKE? You've got to be kidding me!" And then I read that it was NOT brought to the Yurt. I LOVE cross country skiing. I'm so glad you guys got to go!

Lindsey & Tony said...

I love yurts! I'm glad you guys had a safe trip and stayed warm.

White Out said...

Wow good work Chrissy! And I love the rice cereal in the middle of all the cake/pie... Crew needed his good too! ;)

Shannon said...

CRAZY!!! I've never heard of a yurt trip. When I saw you write about it on facebook I totally thought it was either a typo, or the name of someplace I've never heard of . ha ha. That sounds like something Shelton would love! Happy Birthday to Lance!

gardnerfamily said...

I'm sooooo jealous! Glad you guys had fun.

Unknown said...

I wish we could have been there for the suprise party! The trip looks like so much fun, what a good idea!

Amanda and Jake Matagi said...

We did a cross country ski trip last year but here in Utah. It is a workout but worth it. So gorgeous and fun.

Just 2 Snowballs said...

How cool is a yurt? Who knew? I will have to talk to you about how much it is. Tim would love that. Question is if I am brave enough to do it. :)

us said...

So I was reading your blog and my husband looked over my shoulder and said I HAD to get details on the xc skiing and the yurt. Please tell! He now want to go. :)

The Walkers said...

Heidi,
We went with friends and they arranged everything but i will ask them and post it here because a lot of people have been wanting to know! It was SO much fun. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.